Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Everyone Makes Mistakes

During a large sporting event in downtown Detroit the radio station I worked for had a prime marketing opportunity. We worked out a deal to put a large banner on the side of a parking garage facing the sports arena. I asked my team to hang the banner before the crowd started to arrive. As the event manager I had to be in a million places at once, so I didn't have an opportunity to check on the banner until the people started filtering into the arena. Unfortunately, that means people saw my station's banner upside down! I don't think I could've gone up the stairs of that parking garage faster. How embarrassing!

5 comments:

  1. Event planning is so stressful!!! What helps is having a good, dependable team. You're right, mistakes will happen, but you live and learn for next time. If anything good came of this mistake, you were able to cut through the marketing message clutter with your upside-down banner and your audience saw and remembered your logo. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Event planning is fun! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning and hosting events is something else I would love to learn how to do besides cook. For me, it's just something sooo special about seeing others happy and getting emotional. I have only hosted baby showers at my previous job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! We do Wine & Design events at my workplace and I know it is stressful to plan events. How do you stay focused when you are needed in a million places?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Pam - Prep, prep, prep! Being prepared and organized are my biggest strengths. Plan for the unexpected, even then things will still go wrong. I think some people are just born with a talent to stay calm in the middle of chaos.

    ReplyDelete