Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Worst Kind of Events

Over the past week, I've lost a 26 year-old friend and a 76 year-old grandfather, who both suffered from different kinds and levels of addiction. My friend's brother, Brian, was at the height of his addiction, and my grandfather had been sober for many years. Either way, their decisions to participate in these activities ultimately lead to them passing-on to a new found peaceful place. Which leaves their friends, family and loved ones to plan viewings, funerals and memorials during an emotionally stressful time. This experience has made me realize that at this time of deep sadness you can also find strength and connections with your loved ones that was never there before. It is important to not miss any special events including, birthdays and holidays, because you don't know what will happen tomorrow. One thing I do know is that no matter what arrangements are planned, be sure they are what that person would've wanted, not what you think everyone else wants. RIP Brian Arnett and "Papa" Robert 'Don' Miller.


My friend, Veronica, who is Brian's older sister also writes a blog. Her posts are inspiring, touching and heartfelt. She is an amazing woman who embodies the strength of a thousand women and continues to impress me with her words every day. Click here for her blog, Everyday Kings!

3 comments:

  1. God Bless your Grandfather and your friend. Much love to their family, friends and to you. You're all in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - I'm so sorry for you losses. It really is heart breaking and I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. I hope that you truly are finding strength, comfort and peace in your family and friends at a time like this.

    ReplyDelete