Pages

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Always Seek Out a Better Deal


Event planners who plan similar events over and over sometimes stick with the same vendors because there is a loyal relationship. Every so often you should really look at the cost of that relationship. Get quotes from other vendors to see if they can offer you a better deal. If you really want to keep your original relationship, but find a better deal somewhere else, let your vendor know that they need to be competitive to keep you as a customer. Status quo is unacceptable and hard on your budget!

Recently, I had to order 20 tables for a career fair and my company has always ordered tables from the same party rental vendor. I looked at the previous bill and didn't understand why it seemed so expensive. Apparently, this vendor charges a $100 fee for the delivery person to bring the tables upstairs, even using an elevator. After calling two party rental companies I discovered that one of them did not charge extra to bring the tables upstairs as long as there was an elevator. The other company said that there was a charge of $.75 cents each way per table, meaning an extra $1.50 per table. Which is still dramatically cheaper than $100!

I decided to go with the company that charges $1.50 per table because the cost of each table was less expensive than the other two vendors and I got 10% off the total order for being a new customer. At the end of the day, the quote they sent me was the most affordable and I ended up saving my company $150. I am taking a risk because I've never worked with them before, but they have been amazing so far. I have the feeling that I've developed a beneficial new relationship that will continue to save the company money.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Nicole! That's the way to deal. It sure does payoff to search for the best deal and should be a practice among all businesses. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every dime counts in this economy!

    ReplyDelete